Thursday, May 1, 2008

FIRST!

First day of the month.
Favorite track 1's.
Four songs.

This is the "Gotta Give Props" edition of "FIRST". I'm giving direct props to the people who introduced me to these songs.













Janelle Monae "Violet Stars Happy Hunting!" // Metropolis, Suite I: The Chase (2007)


"Imagine if Andre' 3000 could sing." (c) Filthy.

Wow! I don't want to over react, but this is one of the best and most well thought out concept albums I've heard from a debut artist. I want to thank my guy Filthy over at black soap palace for introducing me to Janelle Monae, who grew up under the the wings of Outkast. You can really hear their influence throughout this album, and it's just amazing. In the meantime, watch her version of futuristic rock/r&b live, visit her website and look out for the next segment in the Metropolis series.













Thaione Davis "Monologue" // Situation Renaissance (2005)


"He works at Dr. Wax." (c) Avery.

I met Thaione Davis through my guy Avery about five years ago. But it wasn't the traditional, "Donnie, this is Thaione" type of thing. It was a musical introduction. I was riding in Avery's car and this instrumental came on. Immediately my head started bobbing in the hip hop motion and I busted out asking, "Who is this?!" The beat was amazing. I think we listened to that song 4 times before we got out of the car. That was my introduction to the beats and rhymes of the local Chicago MC Thaione Davis. Monologue is just one piece of a very solid album that specifically speaks for the city of Chicago.

Later on we worked together on a few video projects.














Johnny Hammond "Tell Me What To Do" // Gears (1975)


"I put him on your mixtape." (c) Aja.

Much props to the Mizell Brothers for the production. Much props to my gril Monica (aka Aja) for making that mixtape (yes, an actual cassette tape) with this song. Much props to Dustygroove for selling me their last copy of Gears right before they closed. This song was my introduction to the greatness of the Mizell Brothers. Their songs have been covered by Erykah Badu, sampled by Pete Rock and re-edited by Danny Krivit. And if you don't know already, I LOVE some well placed keys. In writing the blog for today, I've listened to the song 3 times already.













Frank McComb "His Eyes Are On The Sparrow" // Love Stories (2000)


"He's from Cleveland, go check him out." (c) Taunja.

Anyway, this suggestion comes from a high speed dubbing all-star, Taunja down in Atlanta. Hopefully she'll read this and start her own blog (which would immediately trump mine). Many many years ago she told me I had to hear this Cleveland native Frank McComb. So I picked up Love Stories and heard a man who must have lived under the keys of Stevie & Donny. A very solid debut album

His second album Truth is even better.

No comments: