Monday, June 16, 2008

The Jackson 5ive




















The Jackson 5ive
"Don't Let Your Baby Catch You" // Lookin' Through The Windows (1971)


Wow Mike! And to think I almost bypassed the brothers from Gary, IN entirely.

See, I'm an 80's kid, so like most kids (and damn near the entire planet during the mid 80's), I loved Michael Jackson. The albums, the cartoon, the record player, the doll. At that age, I remember asking my ol' man if he liked Michael Jackson. His answer? "No. That's just bubble gum pop music." This coming from a man that grew up idolizing P-Funk and Sly (see the previous post). So it makes sense.

So growing up I tended to block out everything before Off The Wall (yes, even the CBS era) because of my ol' man. Now that I'm hearing some of the early Jackson 5ive, the stuff produced by The Corporation, Hal Davis and the Mizell Brothers, I'm hooked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you checked out Rhymefest's Man in the Mirror "mixtape" (I hate that term, considering most of them are neither mixed nor tapes)? It's pretty damn good, and there's a nice take on this track.

donnie said...

Naw, I didn't know he used it. I'll have to check it out.