Monday, February 25, 2008

Practice? Practice (what we talkin' 'bout?)










D'Angelo & The Soultronics
Essence Festival Rehearsals (1998)
TRT: 55:21

"Ain't It Funky Now"
"Jonz In My Bonz"
"Crusin'/Me And Those Dreamin' Eyes Of Mine"
"Sh*t, Damn, Motherf*cker"
"Send It On"
"When We Get By"

"Brown Sugar"
"Lady"

Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson (PERCUSSION)
Roy Hargrove (HORNS)
Angie Stone (BACKGROUND VOCALS)
Anthony Hamilton (BACKGROUND VOCALS)
James Poyser (KEYS)
Pino Palladino (BASS)

I tried my hardest to locate the exact band lineup for this show but I couldn't find any info. And let me be clear, this is NOT the actual show, but the rehearsals (which, for people like myself, is MUCH more interesting to hear). I know is that Anthony Hamilton sang backup and I've heard/read that Bilal was also on tour with the Soultronics, but I can't confirm anything else. Doesn't matter.

I love rehearsal stuff like this. I love the background talking, the off key trumpet on "When We Get By", ?uest calling out the count. Great stuff! I was going to post this earlier but I my divshare problems kept me from doing so (y'all see I'm right back with divshare too...ha ha). Anyway. So for those who missed practice, here you go.







high speed dubbing is back.
thanks for waiting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

totally unrelated, but
one of the dudes (static) from playa died yesterday.

:(

SAD TIMES.

T-Bear One8III said...

yo, i didnt even know that the whole "we talkin about practice?" thing came from iverson. i thought it was just something that jeff and j live came up with. now that just made the song even doper. but on another note, we need d'angelo back. so far to go was just a teaser.

donnie said...

Bear...according the ?uest, he's in the bay area working/finishing up JAMES RIVER now. I wouldn't hold your breath...ha ha.

Anonymous said...

This is sick!
Forgot to mention Bilal, he's there singing man.
D', Anthony and Bilal at the same time is sick!

peace

Michelle said...

The file is now password protected, according to DivShare. Can you please re-up or provide the code? ;-)