Friday, March 21, 2008

That other hip-hop documentary

I got a love hate relationship with youtube. You can find damn near anything on youtube. But youtube will steal hours of your day. Just cant stop clicking on links. Well anyway, I thought I’d share some of my findings of today.



Rhyme & Reason

Back in like ’95 or ’96 there was a hip-hop documentary called The Show. And then there was that other documentary. Everybody remembers The Show, but only the real heads remember Rhyme & Reason. And it was way better than The Show. Somebody up it on youtube, but they split it up into 10 parts. This is 2 of 10. About 3 minutes in, there is a dope freestyle by Fatlip of the Pharcyde. Classic. Then immediately after that, there is a Ice T freebee. What bugged me out about Ice T, was he is rocking an LA cap with a Wu-Tang t shirt.


Common Sense – Soul By The Pound

I’ve seen Comm live maybe about 4 or 5 times. And every single time, people from the crowd start shouting out songs that they want him to perform. One of them is Soul By The Pound. And he never performs it. This is one of those classic early 90’s videos. Its pretty much the same concept as The Corner, but it was shot in like ’91.



Yaggfu Front – Left Field

This is one of those joints I was talking about earlier. One hit wonder, even though it was never really a hit. And once again, im like one of a handful of people who even rember this group. Yo, extra special shouts to Squeege for letting me burn a copy of this some years back.



Question Mark Asylum – Hey Look Away

I remember chillin in the bassment of my godsisters house watching The Box and runnin a game of spades. This joint came on and it was just so damn smooth. Peep the choreography they had. And yes, this is another one hit wonder that wasn’t a hit. Still classic hip-hop though.



Boogie Monsters – Thresholds Of Negative Stress


More 90’s flava. This reminds me of the countless hours spent in the bassment taping Rap City. I spent a lot of time in bassments. When we were young, everybody’s parents banished us to the bassment. It was usually where the old couch and tv went. Everything went down in the bassment. We got our first drank on in the bassment. Got smoked out in the bassment. Played video games down there. Saw the OJ police chase in the bassment. Even had girls down there. The bassment was the shit.

1 comment:

Improvian said...

First and foremost: WTF, TBear!

Holy shiznit! There was a video for "Left Field"?!?! That was the perfect song to add with "Passin' Me By" and "I Wish" (mix for the simps haha. Feel free to use that)

Yaggfu Front, I still think, was a slept on group. Used to play the first album non-stop and I still play "Left Field". There was an unreleased album that is just as good. Fun times, fun times...

I wonder what happened to Spearhead X because the last song I remember him producing was De La's "Dinnit(sp?)"

Word.

1L2U,
Prov!?