Thursday, December 6, 2007

"Music for the young and old...

...music good for your ear hole."

I want to give a shout out to my father Donnie Seals Sr. who honestly has influenced a good 80% of the music I listen to (it's probably more). And as this blog continues and grows, I'll go in to more detail about how his taste in music has influenced my own. But I wanted to start this blog by posting about a song by one of his favorite groups, Parliament-Funkadelic. This is an underground alternate version for the song "Big Footin'".

I'm not gonna lie, I'm only NOW getting in to their underground stuff. Like most people who were in to "old school", I knew about "Knee Deep" and "Atomic Dog". Who doesn't (if you don't you need to run and get some P-Funk)? But I'm just now finding out about some of their early stuff. Like some of their rock stuff! And it's nothing like what I equate to P-Funk. The more I listen, the more I hear Hendrix, James Brown and especially Sly Stone. In fact, the screams you hear in the song below is channeling some Sly Stone something serious.

Anyway, I don't know much about the history of this particular recording, and I still have a lot to learn about Parliament and Funkadelic (yeah, there were two groups), but it's a raw funky jam that sounds like it was recorded in someone's bedroom. I love the screaming and of course the wonderful chorus!

"IIIII KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO! LET US LAY SOME FUNK ON YOU!"

"Big Footin' (Alternate Version)"

(funk on me?)

9 comments:

Mickey said...

You are sooooo bored at work.

filthygomez said...

my favorite group of all tiiiiiiiiiiime.

hush it mickey.

TRoyal said...

Bored or not, I approve of music blogs by people I know with music I've never heard before.

Anonymous said...

well done is better than well said.
peace mayne

Anonymous said...

I just had a flashback...made me wanna put on some bellbottoms, platform shoes and put a pick in my Afro. Right On.

K-Sizzle said...

Good Stuff. Gotta love the old skool, geo. clinton, p-funk, funk-p era. Showin' love & respect to the forefathers.

Unknown said...

i didn't know much about funk either till my ol'man (as in my man) started to put me on.

i like the blog, kiddo.

Jmack said...

what up d! Good luck with this blog..i'm always ready to talk about some good music.

who am I listenin' to now? Ledisi, Frank McComb, Liv Warfield, Choklate...

as far as hip hop: Lil' Brother, Hall of Justice (mixtape), Strange Fruit Project

the_capital_t said...

if you don't have it in your collection, pick up "standing on the verge of getting it on."

george will tell you to cop "maggot brain" immediately, but "standing" is an iller overall record.

oh...and wait til you start getting into all the p-funk side projects. you might wanna take out a lone if you're planning to buy everything.