Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Favorite Things

"Green Ribbons" (P.A.M.S.)

"The Hustler" (f/ Waajeed)

Coltrain, out of St. Louis, is the newest one to hit the list of male soul singers. He's put out a few mixtapes here and there, but I'm waiting for the full album entitled “The Adventures of Seymour Liberty". His MySpace page lists a release date of November 20th, but I guess that date has been pushed back....ha ha.

There's a whole contingent of male soul singers ripped from the cloth of Donny Hathaway and Same Cooke that people need to check out. Frank McComb, Eric Roberson, Dwele and Darien Brockington have made some great music (some of my most favorite), but it never gets any shine.

What do I think? It's funny. Coltrain on "Green Ribbsons" is just OK. The voice is there, but there's nothing about Coltrain that makes him stand out from the rest. Overall, it's a very safe track that I'd expect the label to release it as a single. "The Hustler" on the other hand is...WOW! It's almost like it's a different singer...ha ha. I'm not sure if Waajeed is bringing it out of him, but it reminds me a lot of Bilal on his unreleased "Love 4 Sale" album (don't worry, tracks will be coming to HSD soon). "The Hustler" is so much funkier! That bassline? The horns? Like...the joint has color that's missing from the "Green Ribbons". I'm really hoping dude continues with the sound from "The Hustler". I'm trying my best to wait for an official album to come to form my opinion, but there's definitely some promise.

Take a listen to dude...let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Jmack said...

I haven't heard of Coltrain yet, but I'll check him out...Dwele remains to be my favorite of the new soul singers. If you haven't heard of Dion, you might check him out as well. He's getting a lot of shine doin' hooks right now.

On the female side, I strongly suggest Choklate. Her self-titled CD is really, really good.

donnie said...

I did some research on Choklate after I read your email. On my next trip to Dustygroove, I'm gonna cop it.

Also, I posted this Coltrain joint a bit prematurely. I meant to add this other song that I prefer more.

I got some Dwele based stuff coming up this week.

Anonymous said...

I do agree....dwele, amel larrieux and other never get any shine either...such a shame...