Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Future Soul/Love Sounds



















Bugz In The Attic // Back In The Doghouse (2006)

















I've been thinking about the future of High Speed Dubbing and sometime this year I know I want to have an entire week dedicated to UK R&B/Soul music. I need a name for it like "UK Explosion" (or maybe I should omit the "E" and use Xxplosion...more cutting edge, right? Worked for Dre.) Artists like the Bugz crew, Omar, Lewis Taylor, James Morrison, Jamiroquai, Julie Dexter, Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone...(eh, I've named too many). No joke, in my opinion they're doing more with R&B than we are here in the States. I'll get more in to that later.

With UK Soul week coming at a later date, let me drop a preview of two songs that I've been playing constantly for the past year (yeah, YEAR)! Props to my man tREBELFREE for introducing me to Bugz via his compilation CD's and podcasts (went out and bought the CD a week later).

When I first heard "Consequences", I thought it was a lost cut from the mid 80s or something. Listen to that bassline! It's songs like this that make me wish I had my sub woofer hooked up in my car (Eric you're so bogus). Notice the vocal styles of Bembe Segue, who we featured earlier this month with The Politik.

"It Don't Work Like That" has taken over my 80 gig iPOD for the past year. THIS is the kinda R&B I'd love to hear on the radio (pipe dream, right?) The production and vocal arrangements on this song are fantastic, especially the harmonies at the end of the second verse! Anyway, these two songs help define the sub heading of High Speed Dubbing:

So, what are you listening to? Well, THIS is what I'm listening to.

No comments: