Monday, August 4, 2008

Talib Kweli Live














Talib Kweli "Shock Body" (Live) // Quality (2002)


I'm not big on Kweli's studio albums (although I've heard really good things about Eardrum), I will always put money down to see dude perform live. Always! I've seen Talib twice in concert and both times he gave me a show that was well worth my ticket. I dug up this song from the audiogalaxy days (who remembers that?) and thought it would fit with this months theme of live music.

Kweli performed this song before his first solo album Quality dropped in 2002. When I first heard it I was MAD hyped for the album. While Quality was decent, the album version of "Shock Body" was a disappointment after hearing the live rendition. And when I think about it, there aren't a lot of good live hip hop songs out there. THIS is one of them. Kweli attacks the mic with a ferociousness that is unseen in hip hop today. I wish he would mentor his Blackstar partner. I've heard Mos' live show is horrible.

No comments: